Honorary members 1963 to 1971
1963 Christopher Murray Grieve ('Hugh MacDiarmid'), W D Cocker
1964 Sir Alexander Gibson, William Ross
1965 Sir Alex Douglas-Home, Rev James L Dow, Harold Wilson
1966 Duncan Macrae, Maurice Lindsay
1967 Thomas W Dalgleish, F C Sillar, Clement Wilson, Edward Odling, Yehudi Menuhin
1968 Sir Francis Chichester, Sir Thomas Moore
1969 Prof. William Barclay, James Kinsley
1970 Lord Reith of Stonehaven
1971 Lord Macleod of Fuinary, James MacPhail, Rt Hon William Ross
| you
can move to the next page of honorary members |
| His life & work: |
W D Cocker gained some reputation after the war as a journalist and writer of humorous verses in Scots, but the poems written out of his experiences with the Highland Light Infantry and the Royal Scots and as a prisoner of war (from 1917), written in English, are worth inclusion in any anthology of war poetry. While we do not yet have any biographical details about him, we can indicate his work by mentioning some of his books, and quoting a few lines of his poetry. Poetry included "Dandie and Other Poems" (1925), "Poems Scots and English" (1932), "New Poems" (1949). Other books included the 64-page "Loch Lomond, The Trossachs and Loch Katrine". His plays included the four-act "Folk Frae Condie" (1949) and several one-act plays such as "Gretna Green". He contributed to the 'Daily Record'. His poem "The Deluge" is an account in Scots of Noah and the Flood - here are two verses (of 20):
and a verse from 'The Ploughman's Lament':
|
|
His letter, written from his home at 23 Belmont Street, Glasgow, on 30th November 1962: |
Notes: |
| Dear Sir, |
The letter replied to that of William Phillips, Hon. Secretary at the time. |
| |
|
His letter, written from his home at Brownsbank, Candymill, Biggar, Lanarkshire on 8th December 1962: |
Notes: |
| Dear Sir, |
The letter replied to that of William Phillips, Hon. Secretary at the time. |
| |
|
| His life & work: |
<biography to follow> Musical Director, SNO |
|
His letter, written from The Scottish National Orchestra Society Ltd, 150 Hope Street, Glasgow C.2, on 2nd January 1964 |
Notes: |
| Dear Mr Phillips, |
The acceptance, in his own hand, is written to Bill Phillips, Club Secretary, on headed notepaper. |
| |
|
| His life & work: |
<biography to follow> 'Irvine Herald' editor |
|
His letter, written from the Herald Office, Irvine, on 17th January 1964 |
Notes: |
| Dear Mr Phillips, |
The addressee is Club Secretary Bill Phillips. The 'Irvine Herald' regularly carried verbatim reports of the Annual Celebration speeches, often noted in shorthand by Mr Ross. |
| |
|
| His life & work: |
<biography to follow> |
|
His letter, written from The Hirsel, Coldstream, Berwickshire, on Jan 14 [1965]: |
Notes: |
| Dear Mr Phillips, |
The acceptance, in his own hand, is written to Club Secretary Bill Phillips. |
| |
|
| His life & work: |
<biography to follow> |
|
His letter, written from 10 Downing Street, Whitehall on January 11, 1965: |
Notes: |
| Dear Mr Phillip [sic], |
The letter, on 10 Downing St notepaper, is typed, with the exception of the Dear Mr Phillips, the Yours sincerely, and the signature. |
| |
|
| His life & work: |
<biography to follow> |
|
His letter, written from the Queensberry Court Hotel, London SW7, on 12th Jan. '66: |
Notes: |
| Dear Mr Phillips, |
The addressee is Club Secretary Bill Phillips. |
| |
|
|
His life & work: |
Maurice Lindsay, after serving in World War II, became a radio broadcaster, and became well known as a poet and as a music critic. His career led to appointment as Programme Controller at Border Television. He has published very many of his poems and a large number of other books, mainly drawing on his love of poetry and his deep knowledge of Scottish literature and of music. His Collected Poems of 1974 drew on 12 published collections. In 1968, he produced "Robert Burns: the man, his work, the legend". In 1989 he edited Alexander Scott's "The Comic Poems of William Tennant" (Tennant accepted honorary membership of Irvine Burns Club in 1829, and our article about his life and works is available on this site). In 2001, Lindsay published the "Theatre and Opera Lovers Quotation Book". His work on "Castles in Scotland" is also popular. For students of Burns, the publication of Maurice Lindsay which is probably the most consulted and the one which probably led to his being invited to accept honorary membership is "The Burns Encyclopedia", first published in time for the bicentenary celebrations of 1959. As he wrote in the Introduction to the 3rd edition of 1980, "The purpose of this book remains the furtherance of the enjoyment of Burns' poems and letters by readers who share my own pleasure and delight in them." One critic wrote: "Fascinating. An immediate treasure-house of information on every person or place involved in Burns' works." |
|
| In 1961, Maurice Lindsay wrote these comments about the use of Lallans in his Preface to 'Snow Warning', one of the books he presented to Irvine Burns Club. | The poems in this collection are . . all . . in English. . . . In view of my close association throughout the 'Forties and early 'Fifties with the group of writers known as the Lallans Makars, I think I ought to explain why I have recanted. Lallans was a brave last-ditch effort to restore to Lowland Scotland its ancient language. It failed to arouse any measure of popular support. During the 'Fifties, the Scots tongue receded more rapidly than ever before under the impact of television, and has now been reduced to a mere matter of local accent. It is utterly unthinkable that this poor wasted and abandoned speech, however rich in theory its poetic potential, can possibly express what there is to be expressed of the Scottish ethos in the age of the beatnik and the hydrogen bomb. The fact is that Lallans has not been used with contemporary significance by any writer during the greater part of the last decade. We are all Anglo-Scots now, whether we like it or not. The future of Scottish literature must therefore lie with English, albeit English tempered by something of the old Scots roughness of texture. In any case, the only thing that matters is what is being said in relation to the human dilemma. |
His letter, written at Woodlands Cottage, Heads Nook, by Carlisle, Cumberland on 12th January 1966: |
Notes: |
| Dear Mr Phillips, |
The books mentioned are "Snow Warning and other poems" (Linden Press, Arundel, 1962) and "One Later Day and other poems" (Brookside Press, 1964); the signed books are catalogued respectively as LPL4 and LPL5 in our library. |
|
|
|
| His life & work: |
James Leslie Dow was a Church of Scotland minister, a broadcaster and an author. He became minister of Cartsburn Augustine church in Greenock in 1943. In 1965 he became minister at Lochranza on the Isle of Arran, a post he held until his death in 1977. As a broadcaster, he contributed to the BBC's Songs of Praise and to STV's Late Call. As an author, he published a Dictionary of the Bible in 1964 which has remained in print to the time of writing. He also versified, as seen in his letter of acceptance. |
|
His letter, written from Cartsburn Augustine Church of Scotland, Greenock, on 12 January 1966: |
Notes: |
|
| Dear Mr Phillips, I enclose some verses |
The addressee is Wm Phillips, Hon. Secy. The letter is (handwritten) on his church notepaper. His sheet of verses is filed with his letter. |
|
| |
||
|
His life & work: |
Tom Dalgleish, the son of a shepherd in Peeblesshire, became head forester at Coldstream, then on the Kilmarnock Estates, before (in 1946) setting up as a free-lance forestry consultant, building up a business which did work all over Britain. His interest in Burns began when he was, as a young man, a member of a church choir. During ten years as Secretary (1960-69) and Treasurer (1961-69) of the Burns Federation, he gave new life to the international aspect of the Federation, bringing to the office his expertise and capacity for management. Highlights of his work were his speeches in America in 1965 and his world tour, including Australia, of Burns Clubs in 1966. The invitation by Irvine Burns Club was prompted by President Sam Gaw, who has since also played a large part in Federation affairs, and it can be seen in the light of Tom Dalgleish's worldwide efforts of 1965-66. He led the fund-raising for the restoration of the Burns House Museum in Mauchline, opened in 1969. In forestry, Tom Dalgleish was a life member of the Scottish Forestry Society, serving as its first working forester president in 1947. In May 1970, by then an OBE, he was honoured by a function to celebrate not only his work for the Federation but also his many kindnesses, hospitality and friendship. The presentation was made by Mrs Jane Burgoyne, senior Vice-President of the Federation. |
|
His letter, written from 'Drymlia', 11a Climie Place, Kilmarnock in January 1967: |
Notes: |
| Dear Mr Phillips, |
The letter is addressed to Wm Phillips, Esq., MA, FEIS, Hon. Secretary. |
|
|
|
| His life & work: |
< biography to be added > |
|
His letter, written from his home at Kirkmulloch, Dalry, Castle-Douglas, Kirkcudbrightshire, on 12th January 1967: |
Notes: |
| Dear Hon. Secretary, |
The Bold in the transcript is ours, to highlight a line of authorship in the family. |
|
|
|
| His life & work: |
The Wilson family were Hugeunots who settled as farmers at Loch Goin (formerly Goine, then Goyne) near Fenwick. Before moving into food mass production, on watching the exploits of Armand and Michaela Dennis on TV (1957-65), Clement Wilson noted that their animal specimens, on killing, ate the offal first - a substance held in surplus by the company. This prompted him to hire consultants to utilise this offal. His subsequent usage through his factory then realised the sum of 7 million pounds for the right to produce their Kennomeat and Kattomeat brands - some offal! Robert Clement Wilson, President of Irvine Burns Club in 1970-71, claimed his family were Covenantors. Loch Goin was famous for this and he proved a connection by showing swords. An ancestor, Ayrshire farmer James Wilson, rearing pigs and producing ham in c.1820, introduced the Ayrshire Cure. He was the first to introduce the present Ayrshire method in the factory at the Burns in Dunlop. Pig raising in that area was probably fairly extensive, as in the first half of the 20th century there were about thirteen ham curers operating in the village, one of whom was Robert Wilson, founder of Robert Wilson & Sons (1859) Limited. Robert Wilson's ham factory continued until the 1930s. At the start of the 2nd World War, the factory changed from ham production to H.M. factory for the process and store of gun cotton. A disastrous fire saw this burned out at the war's end and in the early 1950s Robert Wilson gifted a rest garden on the site of the original factory at Dunlop, in Lugton Road, to remember those predecessors who had left the family fortune. Robert's son Clement converted the Eglinton Castle stable block into a factory in 1953, choosing Eglinton as a headquarters for "Wilson's of Scotland" because he believed that work should always be done in a satisfying environment. The manufacture of processed and canned foods then expanded greatly, using the name 'Newforge', the company becoming nationally recognised, Kennomeat and Kattomeat gaining 20% of the market. It was sold to rival manufacturers, Spillers, in 1964. Because he also believed that industry should play a significant role in improving that environment, 'this man of vision' (as he was described by John Strawhorn in 'The History of Irvine') not only lavishly enhanced Eglinton Park but created in 1965 a Clement Wilson Foundation to support a variety of worthy causes locally and beyond. When he died in 1975, his son James W Wilson continued to employ 350 at Eglinton in line with his father's philosophy. The factory was closed in 1997. Some of the above recollections were recounted by Clement Wilson at the Directors' table during his year as President (1970-71), and we are indebted to Sam Gaw (Past President 1966-67) for passing them on for inclusion in this brief biography. The Wilson family gifted the grounds of Eglinton Park to the local authority, then Cunninghame District Council, in 1978. In the early 1980s, the Clement Wilson Foundation was a major contributor to the restoration of the Heckling Shop in Irvine's Glasgow Vennel - the building where Burns had worked in 1781. The Foundation's successor, the Barcapel Foundation, continues to sponsor projects in Irvine and elsewhere, supporting projects for health, for heritage, and for youth. A recent grant is a substantial contribution to the creation of the Burns National Heritage Park in 2009. In South Belfast in 1929, the family firm Wilson Management Ltd bought a former clog factory and 25 acres of land to produce soft fruit for canning. Staff, unable to travel back into the city for lunch, enjoyed lunch break walks around the surrounding fields. Clement Wilson noticed this and decided to landscape the grounds into gardens, creating the first 'factory garden' in Northern Ireland. The factory closed during World War II, the council bought the land for a public park in the 1970s, and Clement Wilson Park was officially opened in 1975. Some of its grassland, beside Newforge Lane, was occupied by orchards in pre-war years. |
|
His letter, written from Skelmorlie Castle, Ayrshire, on 17th Jan. 1967: |
Notes: |
| Dear Mr Phillips, |
Mr Phillips was Hon. Secretary of Irvine Burns Club at that time. |
| |
|
| His life & work: |
Ted and Elizabeth Odling met at the Glasgow School of Art (GSA) in 1949 and married in 1952. They lived and worked on the west of Scotland throughout their long careers as artists, both at GSA and as free-lance artists on commissions for, amongst others, the BBC and The National Trust for Scotland. Ted was a landscape painter, and produced an impressive collection of painting in watercolour, oil and pastel of the west coast of Scotland. He was also keenly interested in science and technology and generated many new ideas by combining his artistic background with advances in optics, photography, film, and music. Elizabeth won the Newbery Medal as top student of her year at the Glasgow School of Art in 1945. Her work is marked by a close attention to detail, particularly seen in her wood and copper engravings, drawings of natural objects and life drawing, watercolours of flowers, embroidery and quilts. Throughout their careers, Ted and Elizabeth often worked as a team producing murals for the Burns Club in Irvine, the Burns Museum at Alloway and Chatelherault, near Glasgow. In 1965, they created a large mural covering the walls (and some of the ceiling) of a room in the Burns Club and Museum in Irvine illustrating the life of Robert Burns. This includes scenes from Burns' life and his tales and poems which were arranged to disguise the room's corners and included a false door and shelf. These were so life-like that one visiting dignitary at the opening was caught trying to put his glass down on the false shelf. Ted was appointed Honorary member of the Irvine Burns Club in 1967 and the Burns Club murals exist to this day. As a result of the success of these murals, Ted and Elizabeth also took part in the refurbishment of the Burns Museum at Burns cottage in Alloway in 1985-86, a project coordinated by John Mott, where they worked with Jack Kilgour in constructing two murals, one on Burns' work which featured Tam o' Shanter and was set in the Ayrshire landscape, and the other illustrating his way of life and selected events such as the publishing of the Kilmarnock edition of 'Poems Chiefly in the Scottish dialect'. Ted and Elizabeth retired to Lismore in Argyll in 1981 where they spent 25 years, and for many of these years continued to work as free-lance artists. She passed away in 2004, he in 2007. Irvine Burns Club is indebted to their daughter Noelle for this appreciation of the artists. |
|
His letter, written from 19 Craigendoran Avenue, Helensburgh, Dunbarts., on January 22nd 1967: |
Notes: |
|
Dear Mr Phillips, |
Mr Phillips was Hon. Secretary of Irvine Burns Club at that time. |
|
|
|
| His life & work: |
< biography to be added > |
|
His letter, written from the Hotel Vier Jahreszeiten (Restaurant Walterspiel), Maximilianstrasse, Munich, on 15th January 1967: |
Notes: |
| Dear Sir, |
|
|
|
|
| His life & work: |
< biography to follow > |
|
His letter, written from Francis Chichester Ltd, 9 St James Place, London, S.W.1, on 10th January, 1968: |
Notes: |
| Dear Mr Phillips, |
Mr Phillips was Hon. Secretary of Irvine Burns Club at that time. |
| |
|
| His life & work: |
< biography to follow > Lieut.-Col. Sir Thomas Moore, Bart., C.B.E. (the heading on his notepaper) was elected M.P. for Ayr Burghs, which included the Burgh of Irvine, in 1925. When constituency reorganisation took place in 1950, he was elected M.P. for Ayr. This he held until 1964. He was President of Irvine Burns Club in 1945. |
|
His letter, written from 87 Harley House, London, N.W.1, on 22nd January, 1968: |
Notes: |
| Dear Mr Phillips, |
Mr Phillips was Hon. Secretary of Irvine Burns Club at that time. |
| |
|
| His life & work: |
< biography to follow > |
|
His letter, written from the Department of Divinity and Biblical Criticism, The University, Glasgow, W2, and is undated. |
Notes: |
| Dear Mr Hood, |
Prof. Barclay's letter is handwritten, to Hon. Secy. Andrew Hood, on notepaper of his Department. |
| |
|
| His life & work: |
Professor Kinsley was Head of English from 1961 to 1984 at Nottingham University, where he established a chair of English language and, in his history of the School written in 1980, outlined that his intention was to “assert the unity of the linguistic-literary English discipline, medieval and modern, in a single school”. He was passionate about extending library provision, particularly in the Arts, and was instrumental in the plans for the University’s Hallward Library opened in 1973. Student admissions rose and Joint Honours courses were introduced with American Studies (resulting in the formation of a new department), History, Theology, Art History, Linguistics and Archaeology. The teaching of drama was developed and the Department established links with the Nottingham Playhouse in the late 1960s. By the 1970s the performing arts theatre was being established and drama developed as a subject and eventual section in the School. Professor Kinsley died suddenly in 1984 and his work and contribution to not only the Department but also the University was recorded by the British Academy in 1988. James Kinsley published a three-volume edition "The Poems and Songs
of Robert Burns" in 1968, prompting his honorary membership at Irvine.
He also published "Burns and the Peasantry 1785" in the Proceedings
of the British Academy 60 (1974). The Burns edition was described by Robert
Crawford as "the standard reference text of the poet's work".
Kinsley wrote that Burns saw "the rustic society about him with the
sympathy and critical clarity of a Brueghel". |
|
His letter, written from the School of English Studies, The University, Nottingham, on 16 Jany 1969: |
Notes: |
| Dear Mr Hood, |
The letter is to Hon Secy Andrew Hood. He published an edition of Galt's 1821 "Annals of the Parish" in 1967. |
| |
|
| His life & work: |
John Charles Walsham Reith was a Scottish broadcasting executive who established the tradition of independent public service broadcasting in the United Kingdom. In 1922 he was employed by the BBC (British Broadcasting Company Ltd.) as its general manager; in 1923 he became its managing director and in 1927 he was employed as the Director-General of the British Broadcasting Corporation created under a Royal Charter. His concept of broadcasting as a way of educating the masses marked for a long time the BBC and similar organisations around the world. Reith, commented journalist Charlotte Higgins (reporting on the future of the BBC in 'The Guardian', 20/8/2014) and his early colleagues "were out to invent the future", and she describes him as "that monstrous, tyrannical, tortured man, [who] set his gaze at the new technological world of wireless telegraphy and saw that it could be, should be, placed in the service of society as a whole. . . What Reith saw was that he had in his hands an instrument that could inform, educate and entertain - not just the privileged but everyone. . . " [He] saw that broadcasting could one day have a number of extraordinary qualities. First, that the licence fee . . was .. a passport to equality . . there would be no first, second or third class. .. Second, everyone would be able to access the BBc in private. Your tastes, your culture, your enthusiasms, your politics - all of these could be developed without the eye of anyone upon you. . . Third, Reith was convinced that broadcasting, with this peculiar capability of reaching everyone, should also provide for everyone." Reith had no broadcasting experience when he applied for the yet-unformed BBC in 1922. In 1936, he directly oversaw the abdication broadcast of Edward VIII. He left the BBC in 1938. While one might think Reith would have been offered honorary membership in 1938, or at some time soon after WWII, in fact it was 32 years later, a point noted, in his usual style, in his reply. Though, as the founder of the BBC, he still stands for integrity and rectitude, as a parent, Lord Reith was a tyrant, and in 2006 his daughter Marista Leishman revealed the family secrets - including his utter disdain for TV - in a book about her remote, unappeasable, and philandering father. |
|
His letter, written from Lollards Tower, London SE1, on January 12, 1970: |
Notes: |
|
Dear Sir, |
|
| |
|
| His life & work: |
< biography to follow > |
|
His letter, written from 'Casita', 118 Bank Street, Irvine, on 28th April, 1971: |
Notes: |
| Dear Andrew |
The addressee is Andrew Hood, Hon. Secy. |
| |
|
| His life & work: |
< biography to follow > |
|
His letter, written from the House of Commons, London, W1, on 7th Jan 1971: |
Notes: |
| Dear Mr Hood, |
The letter is to Hon. Secy Andrew Hood. |
| |
|
| His life & work: |
< biography to be added > |
|
His letter, written from 23 Learmonth Terrace, Edinburgh EH4 1PG, on 31.12.70: |
Notes: |
| FROM VERY REV. THE LORD MACLEOD OF FUINARY |
His headed paper bears the heading opposite, his address, and phone number. Mr Hood was Andrew Hood, the Hon. Secy. of Irvine Burns Club at the time. |
| |
|
| return to top | you
can move to the next page of honorary |