The Robert Burns Statue Commemorative Medals

These were given to the 700 pupils of the elementary schools in Irvine (and perhaps to others).

Scroll down for large reproductions of each side of the medal.

 

The inscription at lower right reads:

FECIT PITTENDRIGH MACGILLIVRAY.
('Made by Pittendrigh Macgillivray')

The inscription reads:

IN COMMEMORATION OF THE UNVEILING OF
A STATUE OF THE POET BURNS
PRESENTED BY JOHN SPIERS ESQRE
TO THE BURGH OF IRVINE
INAUGURATED BY
ALFRED AUSTIN ESQRE THE POET LAUREATE
18TH JULY 1896.

Note the lyre of song and poetry, the thistles of Scotland, and the linked hands of brotherhood around the world.

 

[The medal reproduced here is one that had been owned by Harry Gaw, once jeweller in Irvine, and President of Irvine Burns Club in 1963, and given to Past President Ian Dickson after, in 1996, he had been researching the history of the statue for the booklet to accompany its centenary re-landscaping.]